Saturday, October 31, 2009

Rough Night

Ellis just couldn't get comfortable since about 9pm. They gave him another dose of morphine about then and his HR and O2 stats seemed to be all over the place. So the alarms would buzz about every min and half. No sleep for me! He would relax and then they would drop and then he would be grimacing. This lasted until about 3am when he finally was comfortably asleep. Unfortunately, this is when they frantically decided to move us because of the roommate situation. They found his grandmother and she was almost to the hospital. She had no idea of the situation with the parents dying so it was going to be an emotional scene. So they moved us in a hurry to another room which was 60 degrees! By the time we got here Ellis was wide awake from all the ruckus. I thought it would be a good time to try an feed him but he really wasn't that interested. The nurses bolted as I was trying to get him out of the crib to nurse him. I could not get all the friggn' lines situated by myself and was trying to get Ellis in a comfortable position and get the lines so they were not pulling. One of his chest leads kept pulling off and I finally had to hold it in one hand and Ellis in the other. Not very comfortable to say the least. I finally got Ellis calmed down and back asleep but I didn't want to try to put him back in the bed by myself. The call button was too far to reach so I had to wait for a nurse to pop in to help. However, after about an hour and half no one did so I tried to put him back in the bed myself. This is when I noticed his diaper was about twice the normal capacity so I had to change it. This of course woke Ellis back up! So I put him in the chair with me this time balancing the wires with my leg kinda in the air praying someone would come check on us. Finally it was about 5am and the the room had cooled way down again. I had to try to move him again on my own. Luckily I got him back on the bed. He was awake and his HR wasn't going crazy so I took the chance to finally call a dang nurse in there. You can only imagine what a mess all the lines were! When the nurse came in it took him 15min to straighten it out. He said "Next time ask for help!" Oh boy the things I wanted to say! On the good side its a private room and its HUGE!



I overheard them say that Baby Doe's name is Elijah. So we all have to pray for Baby Elijah and his family. I found the article about the crash in the paper this am. You can read it at

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-osceola-double-fatal-103109,0,7659748.story

Very sad. I keep choking up thinking about it.

-Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment